Dental Implants: The Permanent Way to Replace Missing Teeth
Are you missing one tooth? Many teeth? You don’t have to live this way. You can have a complete smile again. Dental implants are the natural-looking, permanent way to replace missing teeth, whether they were lost to an accident, injury, or gum disease. Find out what’s possible for you from Zoma Dental in West Bloomfield.
Are You a Good Candidate for Dental Implants?
Before the dental implant procedure takes place, a patient must be evaluated and examined to determine whether they are a good candidate for this type of restorative dentistry.
Your West Bloomfield dentist will review your oral health history and medical history, take x-rays, an impression of your teeth, and 3D scans of your mouth. It’s necessary to review the entirety of your oral health in order to fully evaluate the space around your teeth and whether your jawbone and gum tissue are strong enough for dental implants.
In many cases, missing teeth are the result of advanced gum disease. If this condition is still a problem, it will need to be treated first to ensure that you have a healthy mouth and a solid foundation for dental implants.
The Dental Implant Procedure
Getting dental implants, whether you’re replacing one tooth or multiple teeth, takes at least three visits to your dentist to perform the surgery and make the restoration (crown). There would also be additional checkup appointments in between. The number of appointments vary for each individual patient.
Here are the steps for the dental implant procedure:
- Surgery: In the first part of the implant procedure, the implant – a small, man-made root – is surgically implanted in the jawbone.
- Healing: It takes time for the implant to fuse to the jawbone. After the surgery, it may take 2-3 months before placement of the final tooth. Your dentist will monitor your healing carefully, both above and below the gumline, to ensure that the implant integrates properly and is firmly fused in place.
- Impression: In order for a tooth to be made on top of the implant, we will need to take an impression. This impression gets sent to the lab and the lab will fabricate a custom post (the portion that extends above the gumline to hold the tooth) and custom crown specific for your mouth. A custom shade is taken so that the crown can match the rest of your teeth.
- Tooth Placement: Once the crown comes back from the lab, the custom post and crown will be tried in your mouth, and an x-ray will be taken to ensure proper fit. The crown will not get delivered unless you are happy with the shape, feel and color. Our number one priority is to make sure our patients are happy. At the end of the procedure, you will have a complete smile that is strong, beautiful, and looks natural.
The Benefits of Dental Implants
There are many benefits to dental implants, which include:
- Confidence: When you have all your teeth, your confidence will skyrocket. You won’t try to hide your missing teeth behind your hand or avoid smiling wide. When your smile is complete, you will look better and feel better about yourself.
- Comfort: Dental implants feel natural, comfortable, and are cleansable. You will be able to speak, bite, chew easily and once again eat whatever you want without worrying about the security of your teeth.
- Good oral health: You will be inspired to take good care of your teeth because when you have dental implants, it will be easy to brush and floss your strong and beautiful teeth. Plus, nearby teeth will not be in jeopardy when your smile becomes whole again.
- Younger-looking appearance: If you lived with missing teeth for a long time, especially molars, the shape of your face can change. When the jawbone is not stimulated by the tooth roots, a hollow, sagging look occurs making you look older. Dental implants counteract the sunken-in look by enhancing facial tissues.
Dental implants are the permanent alternative to dentures – no adhesives necessary. Find out whether you’re a good candidate for this dental restoration. Schedule a consultation at Zoma Dental, cosmetic dentist in West Bloomfield, to learn more.
1 Saturday per month
©2020 | Zoma Dental | All Rights Reserved