It’s critical to maintain a good oral health routine at home to keep your teeth and gums healthy and strong. Nothing, however, can replace the effectiveness of a professional teeth cleaning. Visits to your dentist and dental hygienist at Zoma Dental in West Bloomfield Township, MI, every six months are the backbone of preventive dentistry and help you maintain a strong foundation of oral health.
What to Expect During a Teeth Cleaning
There is more than just brushing and flossing going on at every teeth cleaning. Here is what you can expect from a regular visit to your West Bloomfield Township family dentist:
- Teeth cleaning: Your dental hygienist uses special tools to remove plaque, tartar, and build-up from your teeth, especially those that are hard for you to reach on your own. A thorough flossing and teeth polishing follow.
- Comprehensive dental exam: Your dentist will examine your mouth and look for problem areas, including signs of decay, gum disease, and gum recession. You will receive recommendations for treatment if there is a complication developing, so it can be addressed before it turns into a big problem. This exam is also the time to ask your dentist questions about cosmetic dentistry, Invisalign, or any oral health issues that are troubling you.
- Oral cancer screening: Every dental exam includes a review of your mouth, cheeks, lips, palate, neck, and throat for signs of oral cancer. Your dentist is an expert in recognizing this difficult-to-see disease which, if caught early, is highly treatable.
- X-rays: Bitewing x-rays are typically done once a year, depending on your insurance plan, but they can be done at any teeth cleaning. X-rays are incredibly important because they show your dentist what’s happening under the surface of your teeth, making it possible to diagnose issues and treat them before they become big problems.
- Fluoride treatment: Children get fluoride treatments at every dental cleaning. This quick and easy application protects their new teeth from developing cavities. Adults can also request this treatment for themselves.
Cost Factors for Teeth Cleanings
Many dental offices, including Zoma Dental, have a discounted new-patient special that includes a teeth cleaning, full x-rays, oral cancer screening, comprehensive exam, and teeth whitening. This is an incredible value, especially for patients who do not have dental insurance. CareCredit is also an easy and convenient way to afford teeth cleanings.
If you are paying for your teeth cleaning out of pocket or with insurance, every visit will include a cleaning, dental exam, and oral cancer screening. X-rays are optional and do not occur at every visit.
Schedule a Teeth Cleaning in West Bloomfield Township
Many people avoid the dentist because they’re embarrassed about the condition of their teeth, or they think they take good enough care of their teeth at home and don’t need to visit the dentist twice a year. Both circumstances are poor excuses for not getting a professional teeth cleaning. The condition of your teeth and gums contributes to overall health and wellness, including self-esteem and confidence.
Plus, seeing your dentist every six months ensures that an expert’s eyes are on your teeth regularly, identifying problem areas and saving you from preventable oral health problems, serious pain, and costly, lengthy repairs.
Getting your teeth cleaned is like a mini smile makeover. There may not be any major changes to your smile, but your teeth will be shinier, whiter, and brighter. And that will change how you look and feel about yourself. Prioritize your oral health and your teeth cleanings. Rely on your West Bloomfield Township dental team at Zoma Dental. Contact us today to schedule a teeth cleaning for yourself or a member of your family.