Invisalign vs. Metal Braces
When you can choose between braces that everyone notices and braces that are discreet, most people opt for the latter. This reality has made Invisalign an incredibly popular alignment method. It’s important, though, to consider all your options, so if you’re thinking of pursuing Invisalign with the help of Zoma Dental in West Bloomfield Township, make sure to brush up on the facts about both forms of orthodontic treatment so you select the treatment that’s best for you.
How to Decide Between Invisalign vs. Metal Braces
No matter what kind of alignment method you choose, you’re committing to a treatment plan for several months to a few years. You must be prepared to adopt this responsibility and take your oral health seriously so the method works effectively. Here are some facts to consider:
- Invisalign and braces correct the same alignment problems. In most cases, you will have the chance to choose between your treatment. Invisalign can fix overbites, underbites, crossbites, open bites, spacing, crowding, and more, just like metal braces.
- More severe alignment issues may require metal braces. Every person’s mouth and alignment is unique. Careful evaluation, x-rays, and 3D imaging will show your Invisalign provider whether this treatment is appropriate for your needs or if it would not be effective.
- Your level of freedom will vary. Metal braces are on your teeth all the time through the duration of your treatment. Invisalign is worn 20 to 22 hours a day, except during meals and cleanings. Some patients are better served having braces locked in place around the clock while others will do better with the small freedoms permitted by removable braces.
The Many Benefits of Invisalign
Most people would say that Invisalign is the better choice when comparing them to metal braces. There are certainly plenty of benefits from wearing these clear trays. Adults and teens alike appreciate the following perks:
- No food restrictions: Eat what you want, when you want, as long as you remove your aligners first and clean your teeth before you put your trays back in.
- Comfortable: There are no brackets and wires snagging on your lips and cheeks. Invisalign trays are thin and smooth so lips slide right over them.
- Fast:Invisalign takes about a year to complete for the average patient, though some cases take longer and some are shorter. Metal braces can take twice that length of time. The timeline will depend on the complexity of your case and how diligent you are about wearing the trays.
- Easy cleaning:Brush and floss normally and soak your trays regularly to keep them clear and odor-free.
The Pros and Cons of Metal Braces
Of course Invisalign is going to come out on top when comparing it to metal braces. Clear, removable trays are always a bigger perk than noticeable metal brackets that are stuck in place. However, there are plenty of pros to wearing traditional braces. They’ve worked for generations for millions of people.
- Effective: Metal braces allow zero room for error because they’re on your teeth 24/7. There is no losing your trays or leaving them out for too long.
- Versatile: You can get clear or ceramic brackets instead of metal braces so they’re harder to see. Plus, some people aren’t afraid to highlight their orthodontics with colorful rubber bands that let them express their personality.
- Limiting: You will have food restrictions with metal braces – no chewy, crunchy, sticky, or hard foods that could damage your hardware.
- Demanding: It’s easy for food to get caught in your metal braces and special brushes and tools are needed to get in all the nooks and crannies to avoid damage and decay.
Are You a Good Candidate for Invisalign?
Discovering that you qualify for Invisalign is a beautiful thing, but what’s most important is selecting the alignment that is best for your teeth and mouth. Your West Bloomfield Township Invisalign provider will help guide you in the right direction in regards to the choice of Invisalign vs metal braces. Contact Zoma Dental to schedule your consultation.