What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is the nearly invisible way to straighten teeth, ideal for busy adults and even teens who want to avoid uncomfortable brackets and wires and enjoy the freedom that comes with wearing removable, clear aligners. At Zoma Dental, we are certified Invisalign providers, customizing treatment plans for qualifying patients who want straight teeth in a fast, discreet, cost-effective way.
Your Invisalign Responsibilities
There are many numbers surrounding Invisalign and it helps to keep them all in mind as you consider this treatment option for aligning your teeth:
- Invisalign aligners must be worn 22 hours a day, removed only 4 to 6 times a day for meals, snacks, and cleanings. Invisalign cannot be worn while eating or drinking or the trays could break or stain.
- Treatment takes 9 to 15 months to complete with an average of 1 year, though some cases take less time while others may require more time. The length of treatment time depends on how much teeth need to move and patient compliance.
- Each set of aligners is worn for about 2 weeks, at which time trays are exchanged for the next set of aligners in your plan. Aligners are designed to move certain teeth at certain times for a more consistent and gentle treatment.
- You will wear between 18 and 30 trays throughout the entire treatment time. Every patient is different and some may need more or less trays depending on their unique case.
- You will visit your West Bloomfield Invisalign provider about every 6 weeks for a check-up and to collect your next sets of trays.
How Invisalign Works
Every Invisalign treatment begins with a free consultation and exam with your West Bloomfield Invisalign provider to ensure that you are a good candidate for this orthodontic alternative. Not every set of misaligned, crowded, crooked, or gapped teeth can benefit from Invisalign, and you must find out where you stand from the start. Your dentist wants you to have the very best oral health care for your unique needs, and Invisalign may or may not be right.
Once it has been determined that you are a good candidate for Invisalign, you can expect things to happen something like this:
- An impression of your mouth will be taken and will be sent to Invisalign. This will allow for a digital plan to be created and for your dentist to review and precisely shift teeth in the proper position, observe the jaw from different angles, and to consider the results of potential treatment plans.
- Once this plan is approved, a unique set of clear, flexible, thermoplastic aligners will be custom-designed and worn to gradually move teeth into proper alignment.
- Your treatment plan will require the use of Invisalign attachments, which are small dots temporarily placed on the teeth using a composite material. These attachments serve as anchors to make the aligners fit more snugly and achieve the desired tooth movement.
- Because Invisalign is moving both tooth root and crown, you can expect some temporary discomfort as you adjust to the sensation. Over time, however, you will become accustomed to the pressure and the work that the trays are doing to move your teeth, and you will be saved from the damage and irritation that metal brackets and wires of conventional braces can inflict on the lips, cheeks, and gums.
Every type of orthodontic treatment is a responsibility. With Invisalign, you will be expected to clean your aligners daily as instructed and treat them carefully to ensure that they are able to do the work they were designed to do.
Problems Fixed by Invisalign
Every patient is different, and not everyone will qualify for this innovative teeth-straightening method. However, Invisalign can fix just about every problem that conventional metal braces can – so it’s worth asking your dentist if you are a possible candidate for this treatment if you have any of the following issues:
- Large gaps
- Teeth grinding and clenching
Invisalign makes teeth look better, but this treatment also improves oral health. It is both a cosmetic and restorative option that can improve speech, eliminate dental problems, and boost your confidence.
Are You a Good Candidate for Invisalign?
Invisalign is the virtually invisible way to straighten teeth and an excellent alternative to conventional metal braces. Find out if you are a good candidate for this revolutionary oral health treatment from West Bloomfield Invisalign provider Dr. Jacqueline J. Zoma at Zoma Dental.
1 Saturday per month
©2020 | Zoma Dental | All Rights Reserved